Monday, August 16, 2010

Rejection

I've just had my umpteenth rejection for my second novel Two-Way Alphabet. I've literally lost count of the number of rejections I've had for this book, which took me five years to write.

Sometimes i feel like writing my own rejection letters:

Dear Publisher

I've read a couple of books you've published lately and they've been RUBBISH. To be perfectly honest, most of your writers are hacks. Is it too much to ask that you publish something original, gripping, honest, and well-written every once in while? I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject you.

Do keep trying though.

Kind regards

Annabel

One thing I like about the Sketchbook project is that I can't be rejected. No one is going to send my sketchbook back to me with a note saying:
- sorry, you can't draw
- we like your sketchbook, but it doesn't fit our list
- though your sketchbook has some original ideas, ultimately it doesn't quite grab us by the throats
- your sketchbook lacks narrative drive

The soundtrack for today's post is Broadcast's Tears in the Typing Pool  because there are tears in my own private typing pool, every time I get one of those darn rejections.

No comments:

Post a Comment